Dry Ice Safety

Dry Ice is extremely cold and must be handled with utmost care and caution.

  • Dry Ice is a skin and eye irritant; use gloves to handle.
  • Dry Ice is harmful or fatal if eaten or swallowed.
  • Avoid contact with skin, mouth, eyes, and clothing.
  • May cause severe frostbite or burns.
  • If eaten or if frostbite occurs, seek medical help immediately.
  • Always handle Dry Ice with care. It is extremely cold at -109.3°F. If touched very briefly Dry Ice may not harm skin, but contact with the skin for more than a second will freeze cells and can cause injury similar to a burn.
  • Wear hand protection whenever touching Dry Ice. Welding gloves or a thick folded towel will work.
  • Treat Dry Ice burns the same as regular heat burns.
  • If Dry Ice has been in a closed vehicle, room, or walk-in, open the doors and allow adequate ventilation before entering.
  • When transporting Dry Ice inside a vehicle, be sure to have proper ventilation. Leave area containing Dry Ice if you start to pant or breathe quickly.
  • Remember that CO2 is heavier than air and will accumulate in low spaces.
  • KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. 
  • USE ONLY UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION. 
  • INTENTIONAL MISUSE OF DRY ICE MAY BE HARMFUL OR FATAL

More details available at the source for this information:
http://dryiceinfo.com/safe.htm